Saturday, April 26, 2008

This is what happy looks like.

It was a success. I honestly can't remember a time when I saw Grace happier and having more fun. That alone made her first slumber party perfect. She's already planning her next. I'm sure I'll have lists and a schedule soon.

With American Idol karaoke, pizza and root beer, movies, popcorn, makeovers, diva dance-off, giant pallet on the living room floor, hot cocoa, presents, Twister, and yes, a cheese tray (which wasn't touched); this party had all the ingredients to make Grace's night just right.

Grace's amazing Aunt Carrie made and adorably decorated her brownie birthday cake, and because my sister is one of the best cooks I know, it was totally yummy. The girls are giving it "bunny ears" for this picture. Ha!

We had a severe thunderstorm (complete with warning) most of the night. The only moment I began to question my ability to keep it all together was when BOOM! (thunder) then the power went out for two minutes. Oh. My. Goodness. The screams that ensued. As if Hannah Montana had just announced her retirement. As if The Jonas Brothers disbanded. As if High School Musical Three was merely a pipe dream.

After that, they didn't mind me interrupting the movie every 15 minutes to check the weather.

Yes, it was chaotic. It was loud. It was hyperactive, dramatic, and hysterical. It was everything I remember a slumber party being and more. Still, in the midst of the insanity, there were moments when I was almost moved to tears watching Grace have the time of her life. Who knew that something as simple as a slumber party would light her up the way it did? So, bring on the overly-dramatic nine-year-olds. Give me your wired, your immature, your third grade classes, yearning to breathe free! You can't keep a good Mom down.

12 comments:

Casey said...

Yay!!!! Success is sweet, isn't it? I'm so glad she had a blast! Now that I think about it, 3rd grade was when I had my first slumber party. I've never forgotten it. I'm sure hers will be just as memorable. Great job, Steph!

Steph said...

thanks, casey! i'm sure she'll tell you all about it when she sees you next. :)

Stephanie D said...

I remember my first slumber party for my 14th birthday. It was within 3 weeks of moving into a new house where our family of 6 finally had enough room to have friends over. It was a surprise party, planned by my mother, and I never forgot it, either.

What a wonderful memory you have made for her!

Runner said...

Awesome! It sounds like Grace knows how to choose the right friends. This is a skill that will set her up for success in life.
Yay, mom!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you and Grace. This is a big step for her. I'm sure she will remember it always. Especially with the special effects provided by her Heavenly Father. How cool was that!

Papa Frank said...

I'm glad to hear that all went well. As a parent I find it amazing how my own happiness is wrapped up in how happy my girls are. When they are giggling and smiling it is near impossible for me not to be happy as well.

Papa Frank said...

By the way, I added you to my blogroll. I hope you don't mind.

Steph said...

thanks for all of the encouraging words, y'all. it was a lot of fun and i know grace will always remember it.

mom, i think her Heavenly Father has a pretty funny sense of humor. :)

ff, thanks for the add!

Carrie Maxwell said...

yea! i'm glad you had as much fun as she did! it's all she could talk about!! :D

tdillow said...

That's totally awesome, and yes, YOU'RE THE BEST MOM EVER!!!

Tam

Anonymous said...

the only thing I remember about my first slumber party was that my mom made me invite ALL the girls in my class - that's a LOT of girls - and that one of the girls got sick and kept throwing up everywhere!EEEwww!
kar

Scott Callaway said...

Sounds like y'all had a great time!