Thursday, April 17, 2008

This is why...

...i don't cook.

My sweet friend James loves rice crispy treats. So, for his birthday I made some for our Bible study tonight.

This is by far the messiest thing I have ever done in my life. I read the recipe and it said, "Prep time - 10 minutes, Cook time - 5 minutes." I figured this would be an in-and-out-of-the-kitchen-in-a-jiffy experience. The recipe should be revised to say "Clean-up time - 1 hour."

Okay, so I know this doesn't qualify as "cooking" to most of my domesticated, super-mom friends (and family), but it was enough to solidify why I don't frequent that room in the house where the fridge and the oven live.


T.G.F.T.

(Thank goodness for take-out.)

10 comments:

Casey said...

But they sure were yummy!

Anonymous said...

HA! I feel your pain. My broom is definitely the most used item in my house...next to my vacuum. I am the messiest cook ever. I can't even enjoy the fook knowing that I have such a huge mess to clean up.
But oooooh, I've never seen CHOCOLATE rice crispy treats....gotta go now!

Anonymous said...

cleaning is the absolute WORST part about cooking.

i guess we're rewarded with leftovers... because it's like a free meal with no mess.

Stephanie D said...

I despise cleaning up almost as much as I despise cooking. The worst are holiday dinners!

Steph said...

pinky- you make them the exact same way, but with coco-crispies. my best friend makes them the regular way and pours melted semi-sweet chocolate chips over them. when it hardens there's a yummy chocolate layer on top. i wasn't about to attempt melting chocolate... isn't there an art to that?

care-bear- you're such a wonderful cook i'd eat your leftovers in a second. my leftovers never seem to make it to the fridge... because once i clean the kitchen and put them away there's too much of a chance they've gone bad. it's sad, i know.

stephanie- i've never made anything remotely close to a holiday dinner. my family lets me bring the brown-n-serve rolls to thanksgiving, and i usually don't even pick them up from the grocery stor until the morning of!

James said...

YES! They were delicious! I have them here with me right now on my desk and everyone is enjoying them.

Thank you so much for spending your undesired time in the kitchen on poor little ol' me :)

Steph said...

heh heh. yeah, no problem. :)

Karrie said...

I'm sorry, but I'm just sitting here giggling...I had no idea that rice krispie treats could take that long to clean up! But, I have no doubt that it was worth the effort as they were obviously appreciated:-) Tell you what, come on up and I'll make you any dessert that you can think of and I'll do the baking AND cleaning up! Can't you feel the love?;-)

Steph said...

karrie! you just confirmed my summer vacation for me!

that'll be one coconut cream pie, please. ;)

Karrie said...

No problem...I'll get started as soon as you set the date! I'll even make the crust from scratch just b/c I love you THAT much...tell you what, the things I'll do to get people to visit!;-)