As promised, I'm finally posting about our summer vacation. We had a blast. Really. It was a wonderful time. There are a lot of pictures here, so bear with me as they can tell the story so much better than I can.
Monday we spent the day at Schlitterbahn waterpark. Grace is a fish, so this is one of her favorite places on earth. She doesn't have the water (ehh... shark) fear that I do, so we had to ride everything. I'm much more of a roller coaster than a water slide girl, but there's nothing really out-of-control-scary at Schlitterbahn, so we were good to go.
We actually spent most of the day in the wave pool and lazy river going round and round. It's just so relaxing, and as long as I'm laying in the tube and she's free in the water to swim among the other fish, we're both happy.After this full day we were more than ready to go back to our hotel and chillax for the night before the rest of our busy week began.
Two things happened at Sea World that caused Grace to fall to the ground in hysterical laughter. Both were at my expense. 1) A lady on a Hoveround ran over my foot. It hurt. I don't know why she was laughing so hard. I was grimacing and she said, "What's wrong?" And I said, "That lady driving the Hoveround just ran over my foot!" And she keeled over laughing like a crazy person and when I said, "I may loose a toe." she began snort-laughing. 2) I got pooped on by two different birds in two different locations within a 10 minute span. Grace lost it both times. I couldn't get her to help me either time because it's hard to get the attention of someone who is having a spaz attack at your feet. *sigh*
Thursday was day two at Sea World. We spent the entire first half of the day in the waterpark. More sun. More water. More slides. Thank goodness for lazy rivers. I spent hours propped comfortably on an innertube float-following Grace as she swam around other floaters and imitated the animals in all the shows we'd seen the previous day. "Mom, I'm Shamu!" "I'm Seymour."
"Hey, I'm Dolly the Dolphin!" "Watch meeeeeee!"
Did I mention my kid is a fish? If it weren't for the fear of being reported to some government agency, I'd post a picture of her gills.We saw more shows, rode more rides, ate more food (cha-ching!) and after all of that, even she was ready for a shower and some p.j.'s and a big comfy bed.
This is what happened as soon as we got back to our room. It was inevitable.
Friday morning we decided to make our way back home after stopping in San Marcos at Aquarena Center, formerly Aquarena Springs. In 1996 Texas State bought the struggling theme park and turned it into a research center. My parents took us there when I was around Grace's age and I remember it being really cool. Underwater shows, glass bottom boat tours, a neat aquarium. So, I figured, how much could it really have changed over the years? There are still advertisements for it all over the place. Yeah... that, and the website with it's inviting photos, didn't help reveal the SUCKFEST which is Aquarena Center. What a bummer this two hours was for Grace. The glass bottom boat tour delivered an amazing four fish, some trash, a bazillion moss covered plants, and a bird.
We walked along the
"Wetlands Boardwalk" (a part of the lake that is covered with algae, lilly pads, and mossy vines) and I thought Grace was going to roll her eyes until they were permanently stuck up in her head and give me sarcastic "enthusiasm" until I gave her something to be enthused about.To me, this part was kind of pretty. Like a tiny little piece of the Florida Everglades minus the crocs and gators and well, yeah, coolness. But she was not impressed. Totally grossed out is a more accurate description. We didn't linger.
After five fabulous days away, it was time to come home. The Austin skyline greeted us. And so did the traffic. But, we didn't mind. We were finally ready for the familiar again. Funny how that happens, huh? All we want to do is get away, but then once we do it doesn't take long to want to come back.
Or to be ready to get away again...
12 comments:
That was awesome! Thanks for letting us be a (small) part of your wonderful vacation with your beautiful, wonderful, awesome, coolest ever daughter!
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
The hoveround is the funniest thing EVER!
Looks like you guys had a blast! :)
Wow what a great trip you had. I loved reading about your adventures.
Ok, whoever decorated the outhouse door is either a woman, or gay. Horses with flowing manes in the men's outhouse? Seriously?
Modesty (and fear of being banished to sleep on the couch)prohibits me from going into detail, but I have seen more than a few outhouses in my time...none of them decorated with decoupage. Maybe a phone number, or a limerick or two...
Looks like you ladies had a GREAT time!!!
What a cool blog. I came here via Pinky. You and your daughter are very happy and very blessed! :-)
I have a bird poop story to share with you. Many years ago, my mom took my younger brother and me to Disneyworld. We were sitting down for an outside lunch, enjoying the Florida sunshine, and, of course, the Disney "magic".
As my brother picked up his hot dog to take a bite, a bird pooped on his hand, mere centimeters away from the hot dog. Of course, as the big sister, I felt obliged to laugh my butt off! It was high-larious!
Hey! What's wrong with the Gig'em sign???
Considering how much Grace loves horses/animals and since A&M has the best equestrian team in the nation AND a great vet school....I'm gonna be laughing in 10 years when you're paying A&M tuition :-)
..and I can totally relate about the being ready to come home thing...my plane just landed in Dallas about 2 hours ago and I've been gone for about 10 weeks...it's SO nice to be back in Texas!!
hope to see you soon...I have a present for you!
What a terrific vacation! My time line is all messed up--was this before or after the church camp?
Some busy summer you're having there!
We had a fantastic trip. Sooo good.
Mark- there's a lot of that in girl's restrooms too, believe it or not.
Salubrina- Thanks for visiting! :) Hilarious story. Glad mine wasn't quite that dramatic.
AMY!!- Welcome back to the states! Can't wait to hear all about Greece. I feel Grace may be destined to be an Aggie with her current aspirations. Wow. Yeah. CALL ME!
Stephanie- Vacation was actually before camp, but I had so much to write about, it came after on my blog. ;)
Steph, thanks for clarifying that she wasn't giving the Aggie sign.
However, I hope to not ever see a Longhorn sign, either. ;-)
Looks like you guys rocked San Antonio. Awesome! Grace is da bomb!
Big Sis would love to hang around her, they'd both get their eyes stuck in the top of their heads.
San Antonio is fun, I haven't been in many years, thanks for the trip down memory lane.
I stayed at the Menger once...spent hours wandering around getting lost in the old part. Loved how every room is named for someone.....
You know, flickr exists for just this kind of photo-fest. ;)
Post a Comment