Friday, July 4, 2008

A lifetime's not too long to live as friends.

A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity.
Proverbs 17:17

Sixteen years ago (around the time this photo was taken) God gave me a friend. I had no idea when I met Karrie that she would end up being one of the most special, influential people in my life and someone who would save me when I needed saving.

Karrie and I had some grand adventures together back in our college days at Texas Tech. Her living room was the perfect place for a slumber party and her back yard was the venue for many a dance-off. Karrie taught me how to make spaghetti, recycle zip-lock bags and get a yummy meal for .99! Hooray for Taco Cabana. And, cracking each other up to the point of tears was a daily occurrence for us.

One day we had the urge to get out of town and decided to load up my car and head to her family's cabin in Oklahoma. We made it about half way there before my car broke down. It was the middle of the pitch black night, freezing cold outside, and we were way out of walking distance to any town. This was before our cell phone days, so we waited on the side of the road and prayed. And shivered. And prayed. Finally, a highway patrolman found us and drove us to the police station where we called her parents. They drove hours to rescue us from the town we were stranded in and hauled my car to the cabin where we spent the night. The next morning they hauled my car all the way back to their house in Dallas where her dad proceeded to check out my car. I got to know Karrie's parents well that weekend and found out why she turned out so great. I was so worried about how much it was going to cost to get my car fixed, and I'll never forget her dad coming in from the garage after fixing it and saying, "Well, it cost one-hundred and ninety three.... pennies!" "WHAT? Really?" "Yep. $1.93." Some tube or belt or something had a little tear in it and needed replacing. Her mom took this picture of us right before we headed back to Lubbock that weekend. My car ran like a dream all the way home. Oh, and 90's hair rocks. :)

I had known Karrie for several years when my life took a turn away from good friends and family and God. I left Lubbock and my church and spent two years of my life apart from the Lord. I was actively living a life and doing things I hated, but didn't know how to stop. For those who haven't heard my story, I'll spare you the gory details, but it's significant that as of June 20th of this year I have been in recovery from narcotics abuse for twelve years. For those of you who have heard my story, this is Karrie.

On June 18, 1996, I was living (dying, really) in Dallas and I heard God speak to me for the first time in years. "Stop. Or you will die." I did the first thing that came to mind. I called Karrie. I hadn't spoken to her in years. I told her I was scared and had no idea what to do but knew I had to get out of Dallas and leave that life in a cloud of dust. She said, "Come here. Stay with me." No questions asked. Literally, y'all. She didn't even ask, she just told me to get my butt to Lubbock. My parents bought me a one-way ticket, and two days later, on June 20, I showed up at her door and she embraced me and fed me and sat and talked to me and cried with me and let me stay with her for months until I could stand on my own two feet again. She took me back to church. She prayed with me. She prayed for me. During a time when I was too ashamed to tell my parents what I had been doing and I didn't have the strength to try to make it on my own, she helped me. If it had not been for her, I would not be here. God knew that when he gave me her friendship years before.

Karrie taught me more than how to make a meal on a college budget. She taught me what a real friend is. She loved me like Jesus loves me, with no conditions. I had absolutely nothing to offer her and that was okay, because she wasn't interested in what I could offer her. She was interested in my heart. She was Jesus to me when I couldn't find Him anywhere else.

July 4th is one of my favorite days for many reasons. I love my country. I'm so proud to be an American. I NEVER sing our national anthem without crying. I'm thankful for my independence; my freedom. I'm so grateful to the men and women who make that freedom possible, past, present and future. But, no matter where I am, I always celebrate my friend Karrie on July 4th. It's her birthday. Even though time and distance have separated us (she lives in Colorado now with her husband and precious son), there is a special place in my heart that belongs to Karrie.

Happy birthday, friend. I hope it's wonderful. You deserve it. I love you.

8 comments:

Mark said...

What an awesome story.
Karrie, thanks.
Because of you, Steph and Grace are part of our (mine& Tammy's) lives. We love them as our own family. Hope to meet you someday!
And happy birthday!

Stephanie D said...

What an amazing story of friendship! We could all use a "Karrie" in our lives. God bless your friendship.

Papa Frank said...

A wonderful tribute, Stephanie. Happy 4th to you and Grace!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Steph.
I'm cryin' here.
I started out giggling at the hair, the car, the memories.
I'm so thankful for Karrie in your life...I didn't know you guys were so close, to put it mildly.
God is so good.
I'm glad you're 'here', Steph.
You're amazing.

Happy belated birthday, Karrie!

Carrie Maxwell said...

wow.

i only knew some of that story... needless to say it brought me to tears.

Carrie Maxwell said...

oh... and i'm with pinky... the hair and the clothes are priceless!

Anonymous said...

Chris Rice says it beautifully...

Sometimes the way is lonely
And steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live!


I'm so grateful Karrie was there for you and ready to love you like Jesus.

I'm very proud of you.

Karrie said...

Ok, now you've got me crying. I don't know that I deserve so much credit for just loving you, but am VERY glad that you've been in my life all these years and look forward to many more! You are a wonderful friend, I love you dearly, and I am always here when you need me:-)

I will never forget that night stranded in Oklahoma OR our $.99 cent meal. Who says the food is the most important thing...it's totally the company that makes or breaks an outing;-)

Thanks for one the best "birthday cards" I've ever received!

Love you!