For now, I'll share my most recent breakdown. (Recent, as in 30 minutes ago.)
Grace leaves for her first sleep-away church camp in the morning. She'll be gone until Thursday. Our Children's Minister and his wife are very good friends of mine, so I know she's in wonderful hands and will be very taken care of, which helps.
We've spent the day getting things together and packing. I showed her how to pack her suitcase so that everything fits just right so that she can get it all back in there when it's time to come home. She was very attentive and listened to all I had to say. That kind of surprised me. Usually when I try to tell her how to do something without her first asking she rolls her eyes and gives me the, "Yeah, Mom, I KNOW... duh!" look. Man, I hate that. Isn't she supposed to be at least thirteen before she starts copping that 'tude? So, I was pleasantly surprised when she was paying such close attention to my instructions and smiling and saying, "Yes, Ma'am" and "That's a really good idea" when I told her for the 400th time that under no circumstances was she to get in the lake without a life vest on and to hang up her towel to dry after she took a shower and drink plenty of water wear lots of sunscreen and on and on and on... She was soaking it up. I realized it was because though she's very excited, she's also nervous and unusually clingy. She wanted me to tuck her in twice and when I kissed her goodnight she hugged me for a long time and didn't want to let go.
It's just three nights. No biggie, right?
Yeah, right.
After I tucked her in the last time I walked downstairs, saw this by the front door and immediately burst into tears.
It's that same feeling I had on her first day of kindergarten. That No! It's not time for this! Just yesterday you were a tiny baby sleeping in my arms... feeling.
IT SUCKS!
How's that for eloquent?
So pray for Gracie this week as she's away from home for the first time; for her safety, and for God to reach into her heart and make her more like Him. That's why we go to camp, right? For life-changing experiences?
Hmm. I wonder if that's where the term "happy camper" comes from...
Grace leaves for her first sleep-away church camp in the morning. She'll be gone until Thursday. Our Children's Minister and his wife are very good friends of mine, so I know she's in wonderful hands and will be very taken care of, which helps.
We've spent the day getting things together and packing. I showed her how to pack her suitcase so that everything fits just right so that she can get it all back in there when it's time to come home. She was very attentive and listened to all I had to say. That kind of surprised me. Usually when I try to tell her how to do something without her first asking she rolls her eyes and gives me the, "Yeah, Mom, I KNOW... duh!" look. Man, I hate that. Isn't she supposed to be at least thirteen before she starts copping that 'tude? So, I was pleasantly surprised when she was paying such close attention to my instructions and smiling and saying, "Yes, Ma'am" and "That's a really good idea" when I told her for the 400th time that under no circumstances was she to get in the lake without a life vest on and to hang up her towel to dry after she took a shower and drink plenty of water wear lots of sunscreen and on and on and on... She was soaking it up. I realized it was because though she's very excited, she's also nervous and unusually clingy. She wanted me to tuck her in twice and when I kissed her goodnight she hugged me for a long time and didn't want to let go.
It's just three nights. No biggie, right?
Yeah, right.
It's that same feeling I had on her first day of kindergarten. That No! It's not time for this! Just yesterday you were a tiny baby sleeping in my arms... feeling.
IT SUCKS!
How's that for eloquent?
So pray for Gracie this week as she's away from home for the first time; for her safety, and for God to reach into her heart and make her more like Him. That's why we go to camp, right? For life-changing experiences?
Hmm. I wonder if that's where the term "happy camper" comes from...
11 comments:
She'll never be out of the hands of the one who watches over us all. I know how you feel though. I just can't get enough of being with my girls and never like it when they are away.
Awwww, I remember how that feels. She'll be okay, mom, and will come back so charged up and happy to see you again.
When my 24-year-old moved across the country, I helped by hauling a trailer of her things with my truck. We clashed a lot on the way there (3-day drive) and when unloading, so I was okay driving back. But the first night at work, someone asked, "Well, how did the move go?" And I burst into tears.
Sounds like you and my bride need to sneak out for a gelato night real soon!
It gets easier saying goodbye to your kids with practice. Easier, but never easy.
Taking my daughter to college and moving her into her dorm, then praying on the steps...man that's hard.
You need to listen to Trace Adkins' "Your Gonna Miss This"...but you will bawl some more.
You know, I never thought about how my mom was feeling when I left for church camp for the first time, but must admit I just teared up reading this! Apparently, I've come to the "other side"!
I'll be praying for you that God gives you peace over the next couple of days and that Grace has as much fun as I always did at church camp! (I always cried when I had to LEAVE camp...reverse homesickness??:-)
I put her on the bus an hour ago. She was embarassed and wanting me to quit taking pictures and hugging and kissing her so much, but then as the bus drove away she was waving like crazy to me out the window, blowing kisses, and giving me the "i love you" sign language sign. Yeah, I was crying. She's gonna miss me, afterall. :)
Mark - that song was playing this morning on the radio as we were getting ready and Grace was singing it at the top of her lungs (she loves it) and I was crying... of course.
...that's awesome. Tammy's boys are church camp bound too...but I don't think they were singing Trace Adkins ;-)
I cried every single time I put you and your sisters on the bus to church camp or mission trips or choir trips. Partly because I was going to miss you, but mostly because I felt so blessed that you were able to go. God always taught each of you so much on these trips. I saw the changes when you came home, whether it was subtle or quite evident, there were always changes. Maybe it was just the separation that opened my eyes to the beautiful young women you were becoming. Oh, shoot, I'm crying again.
Yep. :) Now everyone knows I come by it honestly...
My prayers are with you both during this time away. I know that God can do amazing things during this time as I recall last year at camp for Zachary! What an amazing time and guess what....it's that time again both boys are gone this week as well to church camp so prayers there too.
Love ya
You know I'm always prayin' for those boys, girl. I love them to death!
I'm one step behind ya, Steph. We'll be there next year.
Enjoy this time (if you can) to pray, cry, breathe, sleep, eat, and love on you.
Love ya,
Jen
Post a Comment