Tonight wraps up my 35th birthday. I woke up this morning completely overwhelmed, but not in the way I expected. Last night my friends (and sis) gave me the best birthday I can ever remember having. After eating at one of my favorite restaurants, we bowled the night away. I could try to tell you how fun it was, but there’s no way I’d do it justice. It was Fun. (See? That's with a capital “F”.)
I’m not super cynical when it comes to my age. Occasionally I’ll stop and think, “Wow. I just don’t believe I’m as old as I am.” I certainly don’t feel 35. But, I guess I kind of expected to be somewhat sad, maybe a little depressed, on this birthday. Thirty-five, living paycheck to paycheck, not married, tired, stressed… you get the idea. Not sure why, but I was bracing for the worst.
Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning with a grin on my face. Really. I was grinning. No, that’s a lie. It was no grin. A smile as big as Texas was plastered across my face. It’s still there. I just feel so… blessed! Have I mentioned how much my friends rock?
So, here’s the thing: because I’m single, God has put me smack dab in the middle of a singles ministry and given me amazing friendships in abundance. Because I’m not a millionaire, God shows me how to rely on Him and how He always provides. Because I’m exhausted, God encourages and hugs and loves me through my family and friends every single day. Because of everything I thought was going to make me sad this day, I’ve got a perma-smile and happy tears running down my cheeks right now because of the overwhelming joy I have inside.
After sleeping in this morning and enjoying the laziness of the day, I went to Mom & Dad’s to eat more great food (complete with coconut cream pie!) and hang out with the fam. When we got home, Grace said she wanted to record a birthday message for me before the day was over. Then my other sister called from Albuquerque and my three nieces sang Happy Birthday to me over the phone. Y’all! This was a Perfect (capital “P”) birthday.
So, here’s my thank-you. A tribute to my wonderful friends and family. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it. I love you.
13 comments:
:D
****sigh*****
You are blessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are beautiful, in every way.
I'm so glad y'all had such a great time, just wish I coulda been there, too. ;-)
Oh....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
(mine is coming up....yet another reason we're soul sisters)
Pinky- wish you coulda' been, too. :)
WHEN is your birthday?? Are you a fabulous May baby, too??
Glad you had a happy birthday, Steph. Best wishes for a wonderful year!!
That was the most awesomest birthday retrospective video ever! I'm glad I could have a part of it.
Just remember - sequins categorically disallow a bag from being referred to, in any capacity, as a "man bag". Sorry. It's a pretty cool Steph bag, though. :)
Aww, Happy Birthday, Steph! My 35th was the worst for me--someday I'll blog about it--but it wasn't because life was so terrible. It was that I was so self-centered that day. Congrats to you for realizing what few do.
They're ALL worth celebrating!
I'm so sad I wasn't there to help you celebrate! I'm so glad it was Great (capital G.)
It's the 26th. I think it falls on Memorial Day this year.
Yeah! Sounds like you had a fantastic birthday...sorry I missed it! You are certainly blessed, doubly so for realizing how much:-)
Hope it was just the beginning of a wonderful year:-)
awwww....so sad parents night out duty called or i would have loved to be in on all the fun!
you are deserving of being the most blessed you can be...revel in the fact that your friends and fam love you dearly and rest in the truth that Jesus cares for you utterly MUCH!
Make your 35th a memory to last forever! Luv ya, sweet friend!
You've been tagged! Want to come play? http://nightquilter.blogspot.com/2008/05/tagged.html
It's been a busy week but I finally made it to your Birthday blog!
I'm glad to see how much you enjoyed it and that you have all those wonderful friends to share it with.
I really like the Scott/Drew photo compilation, very good job on the sequencing. oh and i might ad any song in Sean of the Dead, is fine by me. hehe ;)
You doin' alright?
Post a Comment