Thursday, May 15, 2008

Helen Keller

Tonight Grace participated in her 3rd grade Living Museum. She was Helen Keller. (Check out the resemblance.) Of course, she did a wonderful job. I learned a lot about different historical figures tonight. Clara Barton became a teacher at age 15 and founded the Red Cross in her sixties. Quannah Parker (who we are related to) is buried at Fort Sill in Lawton, Oklahoma (where my dad was stationed and we lived for a little while). Abraham Lincoln was an avid reader and used to walk miles just to borrow a book from a neighbor. Prince Charles proposed to Diana while walking through Hyde Park. Annie Oakley's real name is Phoebe. Albert Einstein had a speech impediment as a child. Amelia Earhart was missing for almost two years before she was declared deceased. Thomas Edison was deaf. Yeah, I never knew that. Mother Teresa died on September 5, my sister's birthday. But I must say, one of the most amazing people to walk this planet and overcome unimaginable obstacles was Helen Keller. And, God bless Anne Sullivan. That woman was gifted with limitless patience. I could use some limitless patience. My little Helen Keller would be ecstatic.

Superb job tonight, Honey. I'm just a tad proud. ;)

5 comments:

Stephanie D said...

I was born and raised in Alabama, and my nursing school roommate lived in Tuscumbia. I went to visit her home once and saw the memorial there, but that was in the late 60s and I don't remember much about it. I do have a charm on my charm bracelet from there.

You and Grace might want to watch one of the editions of "The Miracle Worker" if you haven't already seen it. Makes me cry every time.

Good job, Grace!

Steph said...

stephanie, we were talking about that the other day. it will be our next rental. :)

so cool that you have somewhat of a personal connection with her. i think she and anne sullivan were amazing.

Carrie Maxwell said...

she's so amazing.

good call taking of the glasses... i would imagine helen keller didn't wear them.

:D

Papa Frank said...

As a fellow parent who loves his children voraciously and is a well of never ending pride concerning them I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

Yay Grace!!!!
What a great job. I mean, come ON!!!!

Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan are two of my favorite women. The Miracle Worker is one of my favorite (veeery emotional) movies.