Last week my main squeeze took me to see one of my favorite artists, Amos Lee. I became an Amos follower back in '05 after I randomly stumbled onto his website and listened to a few tracks. It took about three seconds to hook me. Amos is soul. His voice grabs me and doesn't let go. Seriously. It creeps into my ears, sinks into my brain, heart, bones, gut, spirit and causes my body to react. Now, that's good music, y'all.
I'd never seen him live, but have wanted to since I discovered him. When I told Brad Amos had a tour date here, he surprised me with tickets. I was beyond thrilled. Even Grace was excited for me. She knows about me and Amos, and enjoys him herself. A good indication of how often I listen to someone is if Grace recognizes the music. Grace knows almost every Amos song word for word. Yeah, because I'm raising her right, that's why.
Amos Lee's songwriting is just as captivating as his voice. His folk-soul style is what I dig the most, and his lyrics are relevant and irresistibly poetic. An amazing musician himself; he put together a three-man band that intensifies his styles and communicates the mood and feel of his songs perfectly. I appreciate something new every time I listen to him, and I was jumping out of my skin anticipating seeing him do it all right before my eyes.
He blew my mind. Living, breathing art.
He must have played near twenty songs. Brad is a sound engineer, and works for the company that was mixing Amos that night. We arrived early enough to a) go back and talk to Brad's friend who was mixing where I got a peek at his extensive set list, and b) get close enough to the front so that I could see every expression on his face and every note he played on his guitar. We were about 18-20 feet from the stage. Brad wouldn't let us get any closer because, "If you get too close you will lose the sound quality and something about high-ends and not the right mix and no front of house speakers and blah blah blah..." Okay. I guess that's not a direct quote. But, regardless, we ended up in the perfect spot.
Quick side note: The guy who opened up for him is named Mutlu. Funny name. Serious musician. He was fantastic, too. Check him out.
Amos hit the stage and opened with Keep it Loose, Keep it Tight, and my heart was pounding almost as loud as the bass drum. He seems to be a shy guy, and would probably have lurked in the shadows if the lights hadn't been so bright, but he still has a strong enough stage presence that I couldn't take my eyes off him. He didn't talk much at all; instead easily moving from song to song and keeping the show about the music, not about him. He used to be an elementary school teacher, and though I'm sorry our education system lost one, I'm glad he chose a different path. He sang and played straight from his heart with conviction and true artistry. The entire 90 minutes, I was completely engaged.
I've been to a lot of incredible shows: Pink Floyd, Rush, and recently Maroon 5 and Counting Crows. My top two favorite shows of all time were Ben Harper at the Austin City Limits Festival and Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God Tour. Amos has topped them all. I was captivated, moved, and left wanting more. Rarely am I disappointed at a show's end, because by the time it's over I've had my fill and am ready to get home and give my ears a rest. Not this time. It was a long show and I could have watched him do it all again right then and there. I wish I could convey how incredible his voice is live. And, his organist. Oh my goodness. That man infused songs with a gospel tone that literally made me laugh out loud at times. He was just that good. I wonder if I could get him to play at my wedding...
If you ever get the chance, go see him. If not, at least buy an album (or three.) Especially if you're into folk-soul-sprinkled-with-bluesy-gospelish-jazzy-acoustic-southerny-rockin-funk-stuff. (That should totally be an iTunes genre.)
To my sweet Brad, thank you. This was a wonderful gift and I wouldn't have wanted to be there with anyone but you.
Now, I gotta run and wash my Amos Lee concert souvenir t-shirt again so that I can wear it for the fifth time this week.
I'd never seen him live, but have wanted to since I discovered him. When I told Brad Amos had a tour date here, he surprised me with tickets. I was beyond thrilled. Even Grace was excited for me. She knows about me and Amos, and enjoys him herself. A good indication of how often I listen to someone is if Grace recognizes the music. Grace knows almost every Amos song word for word. Yeah, because I'm raising her right, that's why.
Amos Lee's songwriting is just as captivating as his voice. His folk-soul style is what I dig the most, and his lyrics are relevant and irresistibly poetic. An amazing musician himself; he put together a three-man band that intensifies his styles and communicates the mood and feel of his songs perfectly. I appreciate something new every time I listen to him, and I was jumping out of my skin anticipating seeing him do it all right before my eyes.
He blew my mind. Living, breathing art.
He must have played near twenty songs. Brad is a sound engineer, and works for the company that was mixing Amos that night. We arrived early enough to a) go back and talk to Brad's friend who was mixing where I got a peek at his extensive set list, and b) get close enough to the front so that I could see every expression on his face and every note he played on his guitar. We were about 18-20 feet from the stage. Brad wouldn't let us get any closer because, "If you get too close you will lose the sound quality and something about high-ends and not the right mix and no front of house speakers and blah blah blah..." Okay. I guess that's not a direct quote. But, regardless, we ended up in the perfect spot.
Quick side note: The guy who opened up for him is named Mutlu. Funny name. Serious musician. He was fantastic, too. Check him out.
Amos hit the stage and opened with Keep it Loose, Keep it Tight, and my heart was pounding almost as loud as the bass drum. He seems to be a shy guy, and would probably have lurked in the shadows if the lights hadn't been so bright, but he still has a strong enough stage presence that I couldn't take my eyes off him. He didn't talk much at all; instead easily moving from song to song and keeping the show about the music, not about him. He used to be an elementary school teacher, and though I'm sorry our education system lost one, I'm glad he chose a different path. He sang and played straight from his heart with conviction and true artistry. The entire 90 minutes, I was completely engaged.
I've been to a lot of incredible shows: Pink Floyd, Rush, and recently Maroon 5 and Counting Crows. My top two favorite shows of all time were Ben Harper at the Austin City Limits Festival and Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God Tour. Amos has topped them all. I was captivated, moved, and left wanting more. Rarely am I disappointed at a show's end, because by the time it's over I've had my fill and am ready to get home and give my ears a rest. Not this time. It was a long show and I could have watched him do it all again right then and there. I wish I could convey how incredible his voice is live. And, his organist. Oh my goodness. That man infused songs with a gospel tone that literally made me laugh out loud at times. He was just that good. I wonder if I could get him to play at my wedding...
If you ever get the chance, go see him. If not, at least buy an album (or three.) Especially if you're into folk-soul-sprinkled-with-bluesy-gospelish-jazzy-acoustic-southerny-rockin-funk-stuff. (That should totally be an iTunes genre.)
To my sweet Brad, thank you. This was a wonderful gift and I wouldn't have wanted to be there with anyone but you.
Now, I gotta run and wash my Amos Lee concert souvenir t-shirt again so that I can wear it for the fifth time this week.
19 comments:
oooooh, pinky will be envious. :-) she's a big amos lee fan as well.
:) Yeah, she tried to trade me her Weezer tickets for my Amos ones. It was a no-go.
i just checked out some of his stuff... yes, for the first time.
it's great. why don't you burn me a lil' some some! :)
remember when we were in my car listening to music and z said, "i like this song aunt steph." and you said, "i know, i do too." we were listening to amos. :) start 'em early, i say.
Why doesn't Momma have a lil' some some, too? After all, she's got a milestone occasion coming up...hint, hint.
Oops. Sorry. It's not always about me. I'm very glad you got a chance to see Amos Lee. You will remember this always and smile. One of those times, thirty years from now, when you just kinda nod your head and say, "Yeah, it was really great." I'm glad Brad was there to make sure you enjoyed it to the fullest.
Mom, that's a great idea! I was wondering what to get you for your birthday, and this will be perfect. You can act surprised, tho, and make me feel better. :)
I'm with Carrie. First time I have heard of him, but his stuff is very easy on the ears.
Thanx for the 411.
Mmmm. Keep It Loose is an awesome song to open with. Steph, you know I will be seeing Amos if he comes to my town. In fact, I'm heading over to his site to check that out right now.
I'm happy for ya, girl!
He soothes my soul!!!
Steph...
sniff, sniff.
He played here on
September
20th.
The
music
gods
hate
me.
waaaaaaaaaaah.
And no. Weezer is no consolation.
Ohh... man! Well, maybe next time he comes to Texas we can meet up and catch the show together. :)
That would be most excellent!
When I read it online, I thought it must be a mistake. I checked at least five different websites to make sure. Darn.
(salubrina sidles in and sneakily stands by pinky and steph, hoping she can be invited to amos lee, too)
It just hit me...there was something in the dark recesses (or Reese's, lol) of my brain.This guy sounds familiar, but I don't know who he reminds me of...
Last night riding around with my honey James Taylor came on the radio...that's it! That's the vibe I get from Amos...James Taylor.
Oh, yeah. He's definately got the JT vibe (especially on Shout Out Loud, Love in the Lies, Seen it All Before.) Different songs of his remind me of lots of my favorite artists; Neil Young, Tracy Chapman, Nora Jones (who actually plays and sings with him on some songs.) If you like Bill Withers (Ain't No Sunshine, Lean on Me, Just the Two of Us), you'll love Amos. Ain't No Sunshine is one of my favorite songs.
Ahh... he's just so great.
I love music. :)
Hey Steph. We saw Marc Broussard last night! Woo hoo! He was so good, so smooth, and sooo young! That young man is going places. What talent!
Oh, you lucky duck. The music gods love you now. :)
I'm going to be in Lubbock the weekend he is here... which is a total bummer because I love him and have been wanting to see him forever. Brad is taking my friend who is addicted to him b/c I gave her his CD and she was immediately hooked. :)
He's on Leno Wed night. Catch him there!
Ben Harper will be so disappointed when I tell him that he's no longer at the top of your hottie list.
Then again, perhaps this personal pain will spur him to write up a new album of greatness. Your spurning shall be his muse. Good times, good times.
Post a Comment