Tuesday, September 16, 2008

She just may be the most creative kid around...

Grace was given an assignment in her Science class to "write a paper on how matter changes from one state to another." Being the creative and talented kid she is, instead of writing a boring paper that simply stated the facts, this is how she chose (word for word) to complete her assignment. I think it's so great and obviously worth sharing. Enjoy!



My Journey from a Liquid to a Solid
by Grace

Hi, my name is Lea. My full name is Leona Matter Liquid, so you can tell I’m the state of matter called “liquid,” but you can call me Lea if it’s easier. My family is a family of liquids, but my best friend is a solid. I wish I was a solid. I mean, I always have to take the shape of the container I am put in. But, when you are a solid you have a firm shape and never have to take the shape of your container! Now, that would be fun! But, now that I’m old enough I can go to Solid School and become a solid. I am twelve years old, and tomorrow I am going to Solid School!

Solid School is where liquids go to learn about solids, and hopefully become a solid. Today is my first day at Solid School. I am taking only one class; the easy class; the freezing class. I just found out my teacher’s name is Mrs. Katrina. She’s very nice. We are learning about how when you take heat away, you can become a solid.

Today is graduation day! I am now educated in the solid way, so now I can become a solid! In two weeks I will go to a place called the freezer. It is where you can be frozen into a solid. Now normally, as an ice cube, you would get hot and melt. But, at the freezer you will stay an ice cube forever!

Today I am at the freezer. It is very cold. I am about to be frozen. Someone is telling me all the consequences, but I know them all from Solid School, so this is really boring. Ah, finally! I am called to be frozen! The solid freezing me is named Zeus. He puts me in a bin with a bunch of squares in it. He says I am lucky to get the first square. Then a couple more liquids come to fill in all the other squares, and in the freezer we go. After a couple of hours, Zeus comes and gets us out. He asks if we are getting cold. We all say, “Yes.” He says, “Good.” Then he puts us back in. After one day he takes us out and says, “Okay. You are all now official solids!”

Now I live a life as a solid. A happy life it is. I never ever have to take the shape of my container again!

13 comments:

Mantha said...

wonderful paper. i bet the teachers have a hard time challenging her in the classroom.

you're right, she is very creative and imaginative.

thanks for sharing this on your blog. (as any proud mom would!)

Mark said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Anonymous said...

One word...Amazing. Okay, maybe that was the wrong word. How about "brilliant." Maybe amazingly brilliant. I could be just a little prejudiced.

My favorite part is where the solid is relieved she never again has to take the shape of her container. That almost brought tears to my eyes. I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

Anonymous said...

two words, awesome! will there be a sequel about graduating from solid, back to liquid, and into vapor?
she ought to sell this to hollywood; it would make a tremendous cartoon-movie. it has pixar all over it.

Steph said...

I totally cried when she read it out loud to me. Freaked her out.

She said she wants to make it into a children's book. :)

Papa Frank said...

BRILLIANT!!! When the book comes out, let me know.

Carrie Maxwell said...

it's great! i agree... book... movie... even broadway.

clay aiken can play the part!

:)

Anonymous said...

....and she likes to hang out with ME?
this is so good i thought you might have helped her write it.
amazingly talented...

Steph said...

She wrote every word on her own and came in and read the whole thing to me. I was blown away. So creative!

Matt, Kindra and Sean said...

I would have never thought to take that approach in a million years. What an awesome story.

Anonymous said...

I'm anxious to see what her teacher thought. Science is not exactly creative writing, it's technical writing. While I absolutely love this story, I hope it's technical enough for her science teacher.

kristen lewis said...

What a smarty pants you have on your hands! Isn't it strange to step back and watch your children become little people of their own?

Anonymous said...

Whoa, Steph.
I would be so obnoxiously proud of this sweet girl.
She's amazing.
You're doing good.
And of course, her Heavenly Father has blessed her mightily!