Friday, March 28, 2008

Welcome to the Jungle

Meet Nemo. He’s the latest addition to our zoo. This little guy is a Chinese Dwarf Hamster and he’s pretty stinkin’ cute. We’re enjoying watching him play. He is so tame! Grace loves to hold him and pet him and feed him carrots that she saves from her lunch. I didn’t think I was going to like having a hamster much, but I find myself standing in her room watching him play and eat for long periods of time. (Like 10 minutes, which is a long time for me to stand and watch something.)

When you have an only child, pets become the siblings. Nemo joins the ranks of our ever-growing family, which already includes:

Paris and Dublin, our goldfish, (nice of them to pose for this photo, don't ya' think?)







and our yellow lab, Micah. This single mom is feeding six mouths.

When Grace was in Kindergarten, she begged me for a tarantula. I would not be able to sleep in the same house as a tarantula. If there is a potato bug (june bug for you non-West-Texans) flying around in the house I have to kill it before I can go to bed. I don’t do bugs. Tarantula. As if.

Last night I dreamt Nemo escaped from his cage and got into Grace’s vitamins and ate so many that he grew to the size of a house cat. We had to get a new cage custom built and it cost $640. Grace walked him around on a leash and dressed him up in a cowboy hat and a little t-shirt that said, “Eat Your Vitamins.”

This morning I crept into Grace’s room to find Nemo sleeping; curled up into a fluffy little ball no bigger than a golf ball. I swear I heard him burp.

4 comments:

Casey said...

I am actually laughing out loud. I know how you are with bugs. Are those tiny beetles still breeding in your house? :-) I'm glad to hear that Nemo is not growing any faster than normal hamsters, although the mental image of him in a hat and "eat your vitamins" t-shirt is freakin' hilarious. I'll be sure to look for a tiny sized one next time I'm in the health store.

Holly Renee said...

okay, friend.....if you're having dreams like that every night we seriously need to have a heart to heart! Missing you this week.....we've GOT to talk....have something I need you to pray about! Love you much!

Anonymous said...

Your dream is hilarious! Nemo is so cute...Big Sis has been begging for a rabbit. Um, I'm doing good to keep my kids fed. I'm thinkin' the rabbit will live over at granny's house.

Steph, your comment on you & music made me smile. I love Woyaho. Grace is one cool girl.

Stephanie D said...

Hurray, "Nemo" won out! I liked that name best, too, though she had some really cute ones on her list.