Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Conversations with God

Grace takes the reading portion of her TAKS test tomorrow. (That’s the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills.) We’ve been preparing for this all year. It’s a pretty big deal. I do not even remember taking anything like this in elementary school, maybe because we didn’t have to, or maybe because it just wasn’t as big of a deal back then?? Grace is a little nervous, but not as stressed out as she says some of the kids in her class are. She’s pretty laid-back about stuff like this. Needless to say, we spent a significant amount of time this afternoon preparing for it. I have received a total of four notes from the school about how to prepare specifically for this day. Tomorrow she brings to the testing room: #2 pencils, a chapter book, bottle of water, healthy snack, and a jacket. Tonight she was in bed with lights out at 8:00 sharp. We’ve also been told again and again that she needs to eat a “hearty” breakfast before the test. (I’m cooking her eggs over medium with orange slices on the side, her favorite. I don’t really consider this “hearty”, but we’re not making a trip to IHOP for the T-Bone Steak and Eggs at 6:30 in the morning. She’s going to have to come hungry and leave happy from our breakfast table.) So, here’s the conversation we had as I was chopping up cheese cubes for her healthy snack tomorrow:

Grace: “Do I get to take this for snack every day?”
Me: “Hmm. I dunno. Do you want this for snack every day?” (She usually takes a granola bar.)
G: “Maybe. Are you going to cook me eggs for breakfast every day?” (She usually eats a granola bar.)
M: “Wow. Sometimes I will, not every day.”
G: “So this is just special for the test? You don’t want me to go to school healthy every day?”
M: …. (speechless)

When did she get so dad-gum incisive? Of course I want her to go to school well-fed and prepared for every day, not just the couple of days of the year that she has a big test. There is no way out of this one. I will be getting up early to cook eggs (or at least something more “hearty” than a granola bar and a glass of milk) from now on. She deserves it, and I feel pretty crummy for not giving her better before now. How amazing is she that she wasn’t even complaining, just making a sincere observation?! Very often my conversations with Grace are simultaneously conversations with God. Tonight He spoke loudly through her quiet voice. Get your act together, Mom. 10-4. Roger that.

6 comments:

heather said...

well, you know i gotta comment when you are speaking my language :) i have some easy, healthy snacks for you. so what that they were in a list intended for breastfeeding women......
boiled eggs- i get 2 dozen at a time and boil one set
cottage cheese with canned fruit
smoothies with yogurt, milk, and frozen fruit
you are an awesome mom! love you!!

Steph said...

aw, thanks, heather! i think grace would love all of those snacks... especially the boiled eggs. i always forget about doing that, and she loves them... she calls them "gooey eggs." :) love you too!!

Scott Callaway said...

It was good talking with you Sunday! Nice to see you have a blog. Interesting how kids can sometimes be very insightful.

Drew said...

Well, if the tv commercials can be believed, it would seem that Frosted Mini-wheats can give Grace the healthy, prepared edge that she needs every day without you having to make the old school full breakfast every day.

I like 'em.

Steph said...

YES! so does she. :)

Anonymous said...

Scary how smart and to the point they are, huh?
Big Sis leaves me speechess regularly.