I always wondered what it must have been like for Jay Leno when he was the guest host on the Tonight Show, back when Johnny Carson was still the king of late night television. What a great gig that must have been…you have the freedom to screw things up royally, and then in short order the king is back to pull the ratings back from the dumper.So here I am, the Jay Leno to Steph’s Carson. I hope I don’t run off the regulars. If I do the queen will soon return with all her freshly chap-sticked, creative, witty, and quirky posts (did I mention chapstick?) to save the blog,
This all started in response to Steph’s last entry. I suggested she get a guest blogger…like her mom. I thought it was a great idea. I mean, wouldn’t it be cool for her mom to have a guest shot to give us some juicy "conversations with Steph" insights that we could torture the queen with? Alas, the idea backfired, and I got the call.
So, sit back and endure my inaugural blog post…
While I am in full agreement that motherhood is not for wusses, being a father is not for the faint of heart either.
Bill Cosby once said "Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope." I guess that would be the original leashed toiletry. ;-)
I did a little research and was surprised to discover that Father’s Day (June 15th this year, for those who need the warning) has only been an officially recognized day of remembrance since 1972…one of the relatively unknown gifts of the Nixon administration.
The idea of a day to celebrate good fathers was born in 1909 in the mind of a young lady named Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd. It was inspired while she was listening to a sermon which told of the creation of Mother’s Day. Mrs. Dodd and her five siblings had been raised single handedly by her father, after the death of his wife, and Mrs. Dodd believed that her father’s years of selflessness deserved recognition. She began the work in his honor that eventually led to the establishment of Father’s Day some sixty-three years later. All of which goes to show that even a crooked president cannot deny the perseverance of a good woman with a just cause.
….long live the queen…. ;-)
16 comments:
For those of you who don't know Mark, the writer of this post, he is my long time friend, husband of my best friend, and adopted brother... tho, he probably has tried to get out of that last responsibility a time or two. ;)
Thank you, Mark, for your wonderful post as my guest blogger. And for stepping in when I just don't have the energy to write. You saved the day. Again. How do you always do that?!?!
He's had a lot of practice reading my blog.
LOL...except I have to pretend to know what Drew is talking about most of the time...dude, seriously...I need to get you a subscription to Field and Stream....
yea!
i loved it! :)
Great job, Mark. I did pause to ponder why I was never offered the position of guest blogger. Hmmmmm. Why could that be? Surely, there is nothing she would not freely share with her homeys. Oh, I know...I was on vacation! Thanks, once again, for loving and helping my girl. Just one question...how can you guys stay up until 2 am. For pity sake...get some sleep!
Well, unless hunting or fishing is involved (or a certain person's birthday party which involves midnight bowling), I normally am not up at that hour. But that night I woke up and had trouble falling back to sleep...call it newbie-bloggerism. My mind was churning with new ideas to write about.
Woo hoo! Great post, Mark.
I just love Bill Cosby.
Dad is great, he's givin' us chocolate cake!
My husband actually fed our kids chocolate cake for BREAKFAST recently....he just wanted to hear them sing that song.
Yeah.
Mark, does this mean we can look forward to the "Fatherhood is not for wusses" blog on a regular basis. Have you been bitten by the blogger bug?
I think maybe I have indeed been bitten by the bug. Maybe I will try a few more guest shots before taking off the training wheels. ;-)
Mom, you can be next. I'm sure you're dying to tell some embarrassing story to my "homeys" (ha!) about geese walking down the street or ignored classes of tea. :)
Ok, with a teaser like that, you have to tell us more!
Hunting or fishing? Now there's inspiration for a post. Run with it Mark - run with it!!!
Sorry, Mom... had to delete your comment. No last names on the blog! :) You're the one who warned me about freaky people tracking us down...
yeah... that's supposed to be "glasses" not "classes".
great.
You're right. My bad. Another good reason for me to stay off the blogs. Hmmm. You gonna let me live that one down?
what do you think?
Post a Comment