Grace did an experiment for her science class last week and here is how she described her findings. Her teacher's comments:
I did a cool experiment on evaporation. First, I put two teaspoons of water in each bowl. Then, I put one bowl in the sun and one bowl in my kitchen cabinet. Four hours later, the bowl I put in the sun had one teaspoon of water left in it, and the bowl in the cabinet had one and a half teaspoons left. I kept each bowl in it’s place. The next day, I checked the two bowls again. The bowl that was in the sun was dry and there was no water left, but the bowl I put in the cabinet still had 1/8 of a teaspoon of water left. If you’re wondering where the water went, you’re a lucky duck, because I am about to tell you! The water was evaporated, which is when water turns to gas. It goes through condensation, which is the forming of clouds, will go through precipitation, which is when it rains, and will be accumulated, which is the forming of puddles. So, basically, the water in the bowl went half-way through the water cycle!
After it rains and there are puddles everywhere, all you can think of is to go and jump in those puddles! But, then you remember you have to read for homework. So, you do that, then you run to your room and try to find your rain boots and coat, but you just can’t find them anywhere! Finally, you find them and go outside, but the puddles are nearly gone! You may be wondering, “Uh… why did this happen?” Well, I have an answer for you. When it rains, puddles form. We all know that, but like I said, forty minutes later they are gone. This all happens by evaporation and when this happens the water changes to gas and then forms into clouds. This is called condensation. After condensation, precipitation happens. Precipitation is rain. Then, it’s your favorite part, ACCUMULATION! Accumulation is when rain forms puddles! So, really, the water changes into clouds and then into puddles again and again.
When you were three or four you may have thought the clothes dryer was magic. You knew the clothes were put in wet, but after an hour they came out dry! Well, now you’re in the fourth grade and you probably don’t think that anymore. So, just in case you’re still wondering how that magic dryer works, well I have the answer for you. When the dryer is turned on, it heats the clothes up. Simple, right? But, then this whole scientific thing happens! The dryer heats up the clothes causing the water in the soaked clothes to evaporate. Then the evaporated water, which is now a gas, goes through the vents in your dryer. Then the gas in the vents goes through a tube. Then the exact same gas that went through the tube is dropped off outside into the open air and added to the gas that makes the clouds, and you know what happens then? Puddles! Ahhh. Now that that is over I can go put my wet clothes in the dryer and make some rain!
Grace- what fun to read! Your voice is fabulous, AND I learned a lot! Well done! :) 100 + 5 bonus = 105
I did a cool experiment on evaporation. First, I put two teaspoons of water in each bowl. Then, I put one bowl in the sun and one bowl in my kitchen cabinet. Four hours later, the bowl I put in the sun had one teaspoon of water left in it, and the bowl in the cabinet had one and a half teaspoons left. I kept each bowl in it’s place. The next day, I checked the two bowls again. The bowl that was in the sun was dry and there was no water left, but the bowl I put in the cabinet still had 1/8 of a teaspoon of water left. If you’re wondering where the water went, you’re a lucky duck, because I am about to tell you! The water was evaporated, which is when water turns to gas. It goes through condensation, which is the forming of clouds, will go through precipitation, which is when it rains, and will be accumulated, which is the forming of puddles. So, basically, the water in the bowl went half-way through the water cycle!
After it rains and there are puddles everywhere, all you can think of is to go and jump in those puddles! But, then you remember you have to read for homework. So, you do that, then you run to your room and try to find your rain boots and coat, but you just can’t find them anywhere! Finally, you find them and go outside, but the puddles are nearly gone! You may be wondering, “Uh… why did this happen?” Well, I have an answer for you. When it rains, puddles form. We all know that, but like I said, forty minutes later they are gone. This all happens by evaporation and when this happens the water changes to gas and then forms into clouds. This is called condensation. After condensation, precipitation happens. Precipitation is rain. Then, it’s your favorite part, ACCUMULATION! Accumulation is when rain forms puddles! So, really, the water changes into clouds and then into puddles again and again.
When you were three or four you may have thought the clothes dryer was magic. You knew the clothes were put in wet, but after an hour they came out dry! Well, now you’re in the fourth grade and you probably don’t think that anymore. So, just in case you’re still wondering how that magic dryer works, well I have the answer for you. When the dryer is turned on, it heats the clothes up. Simple, right? But, then this whole scientific thing happens! The dryer heats up the clothes causing the water in the soaked clothes to evaporate. Then the evaporated water, which is now a gas, goes through the vents in your dryer. Then the gas in the vents goes through a tube. Then the exact same gas that went through the tube is dropped off outside into the open air and added to the gas that makes the clouds, and you know what happens then? Puddles! Ahhh. Now that that is over I can go put my wet clothes in the dryer and make some rain!
12 comments:
Wait, wait, wait...back up the train here...my clothes dryer isn't magic?
I suppose there is no little wooden man in the toaster who pushes the toast up when it's done either, eh??
Kids these days! ;-)
Yay! Yay for puddles.
Grace is so super smart.
I'm still focused on the puddles.
Let's go find some and jump in 'em.
That was a beautiful story, seriously, the laughter it brought me made me go through this whole process. I became misty eyed, cried, made puddles, the puddles and my eyes dried, I read some more, became misty eyed, cried, and made more puddles.
So is this how Evaporated Milk is made too?
no silly... evaporated milk involves tornados and cows being stuck in clouds. everyone knows that.
my favorite part is "well then you're a lucky duck" lol.
so cute.
*heh heh* :)
Smart girl. She deserved the A+.
BTW I found you via Papa Frank's blog and I fully expected to read about another funkalicious video. I guess that post evaporated ;-)
no, no! it's in the works. :)
and welcome!
Brilliant! We need to get that girl published!
You have a budding scientist! My daughter is a scientist or wannabee at least. I hope your daughter becomes one.
Grace is so clever! I was never that uninhibited--my papers were all as dull as my projects!
such an amazing writer. her teachers must adore having her in their class. thanks for sharing that.
Oh no, it's another Mark! ;)
Post a Comment