Wednesday, December 3, 2008

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

This post on Papa Frank's blog has inspired me. I loved Sesame Street as a child and I think my Mom must have, too. She says watching it taught me how to read before I started kindergarten. This was and still is by far my favorite song from Sesame Street. I loved the pinball baseball team. :)



I also got really excited when these two would occasionally make an appearance on The Electric Company.





But this was my all-time favorite show. I hated missing it. Just the other day I was singing this theme song in the shower. :)



This stuff made such an impression on me that today, decades later, I can still sing each one almost word for word. I showed these to Grace and she said they were "weird and old." Yeah, well what's wrong with weird and old? I'm weird and old.

Ah, to be a kid again. We had some good tv back then.

11 comments:

Papa Frank said...

Thanks for the link-love! I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers the theme songs from childhood shows and still smiles when they sing them.

Mark said...

And lets not forget Schoolhouse Rock..."conjunction junction, what's your function"...or "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here", and last but not least.."I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I'm sittin here on capitol hill"...

Carrie Maxwell said...

i have to agree with gracie... they look old and weird to me too.

in fact, the only one of these i an even remember is the two faces... well and maybe that little hairy guy sort of too. they really need to bring the electric company back... it was good stuff.

cube said...

I remember all of those. I guess that makes me old and weird too.

My one consolation is that one day Spongebob Squarepants and Hannah Montana episodes will look old & weird to a future generation of children.

I hope I'll be there to see it and, if I am, I'll be laughing my butt off.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Memories are made of this. I still love Sesame Street and enjoyed seeing the whole, old, weird, gang in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I kinda got a teary eyed. Any re-runs I can catch of the Muppet Show are at the top of my list of important viewing. Guess I prefer puppets to real people. Hmmm. What does that say about me?

Mantha said...

hey. ain't nuthin' wrong with old and weird. :-)

if we're going nostalgia, then i have to own up to avidly watching dukes of hazard and knight rider every friday night growing up.

i remember with inner embarrassment the singalongs we had in the car. mom had purchased some sort of children's classic songs tape, and we 'rocked' out to john jacob jingleheimer schmidt, this old man, polly wolly doodle, and the rest.

but sesame street.....ahhh. my fave was always cookie monster. :) c is for cookie, that's good enough for me. we would go to sesame place (amusement park, with themed rides and attractions) all the time.

thanks for the post. (and the visit to my blog)

Anonymous said...

3,2,1....contact!

I loved that show!

And The Electric Company, too.

Man, such good memories.

And Bill Nye the Science Guy a little later on.

Good stuff, Steph.
:0)

tdillow said...

Hey careful w/the OLD part!

Drew said...

That is the biggest pinball machine EVER.

You know, my folks made me turn off an episode of 3-2-1 Contact once because they went to a KISS show in order to talk about all the stuff that had to happen in order to make the concert go. There was like 5 seconds of an actual KISS song in there, but my mom made me turn it off. Now I'll never know how rock concerts happen!

BTW, when I was 8 I totally had a crush on Trini (sp?) from 3-2-1 Contact. I also watched the Bloodhound Gang religiously, and I'm still waiting to have a 2-story house so that I can run a model train with a cardboard cutout of my profile in the window to cast a shadow so it would appear that I'm in my room pacing rather than being out making mischief.

Papa Frank said...

Merry Christmas to you and Grace!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry merry Christmas to you and Grace! Love you!!