In other news, my sister celebrated her birthday yesterday. Happy birthday to you, Carrie. And, thank you for your friendship, babysitting, and those long late-night talks we tend to have. You rock.
My niece Katelyn, who lives in Albuquerque with her momma (my other sister), daddy and two precious sisters, also celebrated a birthday this week. We were all in Lubbock recently for a funeral and were able to get all the kiddos together at once for the first time in almost three years. That makes me sad. I wish time and distance didn't separate us like it does. I miss them like crazy.
The funeral was for my Aunt Lula Mae (my dad's aunt and my grandmother's best friend). Of course, it is always hard when someone leaves this earth. But, I take comfort in the fact that Lula is home and there's no doubt that someday I'll hug her neck again. She was a wonderful, funny, spunky, beautiful woman. As I sat at the funeral listening to familiar stories and laughing through tears, I was overcome with pride for my family, my heritage and the legacy of us. I come from good people, y'all. It was difficult watching Ma, my grandmother (in the photo) as she said goodbye to her best friend. They had been best friends since they were teenage girls, and when Ma married Lula's brother, my Pa, they became sisters. She will be greatly missed.My parents celebrated their 38th wedding anniversary last week. Way to go Mom and Dad! I'm very aware of the blessing in that as I write it. I don't have many friends whose parents are still together and still in love. It was fun last night at Carrie's birthday dinner to see the bling they got each other, because they hardly ever "do anything" for their anniversary. Their new wedding rings are beautiful.
Speaking of being in love...
I am.

Okay, gotta run! Work is calling... ;)
16 comments:
i love your blog.
somehow reading it from you is just as fun as the actual experience.
:)
Congrats to Miss Grace and to mom n dad! What a blessing on both accounts. Mom n Dad you should be so proud....your daughter is so amazing and doing such an amazing job not just w/this blog but w/her daughter too. Give miss Grace big hugs and kisses from me (if she'll have them still). ;)
LY
PS: that's an awfully scratchy lookin kiss there darlin
Oh yes, and my deepest regrets for y'alls loss :( I know how hard it is to loose someone special.
i'm beyond thrilled for you, sweet friend....praying for your heart everyday :-) love YOU!
Congrats!!!
Well, now we know the REAL reason you haven't been blogging!
Way to go, Steph!
Flower: [about two birds fluttering around] Well! What's the matter with them?
Thumper: Why are they acting that way?
Friend Owl: Why, don't you know? They're twitterpated.
Flower, Bambi, Thumper: Twitterpated?
Friend Owl: Yes. Nearly everybody gets twitterpated in the springtime. For example: You're walking along, minding your own business. You're looking neither to the left, nor to the right, when all of a sudden you run smack into a pretty face. Woo-woo! You begin to get weak in the knees. Your head's in a whirl. And then you feel light as a feather, and before you know it, you're walking on air. And then you know what? You're knocked for a loop, and you completely lose your head!
Thumper: Gosh, that's awful.
Flower: Gee whiz.
Bambi: Terrible!
Friend Owl: And that ain't all. It could happen to anyone, so you'd better be careful.
...ah, yes. And it just keeps getting better. :)
I should tell you what your precious little girl said about this man in your life. It may make you life and cry all in the same instant. Remind me.
Steph, I heard Brown Eyed Girl on the radio today. It made me miss our friend. But your great aunt has now met him! neat, huh? :-)
I am so very, very happy for you. You and your sweetie look so good together.
I don't really have anything witty to say, I just wanted to show that I was up later than Pinky ;-)
Good seeing ya today. I think we were in L-town the same time a few weekends back. We were visiting our niece who is attending Tech, and living right across the street from the elementary school Buddy Holly attended. I thought that was pretty cool.
Well, having met your twitterpation, I can see why you fell. I felt very comfortable with him and he seemed to be at home with our family. That's good. He appeared comfortable with Grace and she with him. That's good. Those are not my only impressions, just the ones I'm willing to share in this format. Nothing negative, don't get all worked up.
I had to say something so I could point out to Mark the time of my first comment. The difference is I was not up late, but early. Sorry, Steph, you thought these comments were about your post.
Glad to hear that life is keeping you busy and that the twitterpation continues!!!:-)
I'm with Pinky...can't hear "Brown Eyed Girl" without thinking of our friend, but at this point have to smile to think how VERY prepared he was for an eternity spent praising God:-)
Pinky and Karrie- Funny how things are connected and how God intertwines our lives with each other's. My honey also knew our sweet friend back in the day and so he's been on my mind and part of our conversations quite a bit lately. I was flipping through CD's for stuff to listen to in the car on our way out of town the other day and we listened to "Let Go" and I just cried and cried. He is still so missed.
Mom- Can't wait to hear those thoughts. :) Funny thing: when we got in the car to drive off, Brad said, "The curse is broken!" Cracked me up.
Let's hope so.
Post a Comment