Thursday, January 29, 2009

Won't stop thinkin' about tomorrow...

I can't remember who said it, my sister or my daughter, but one of them told me my mom was going to disown me if I didn't update my blog soon. I kind of like being her daughter, so...

Here's what's going on in our corner of the world these days:

Planning a wedding in less than four months is beyond challenging. Still, I know God had this day planned long before Brad and I did, because everything is continuing to fall right into place and work out beautifully. I'm going to have the wedding I've dreamed of since I was a girl. But, I am tired, and it will be a nice feeling to lay in bed at night and not think about what I have to plan the next day, and the day after that, and after that, yada yada.

Just when I think I'm bent almost to the breaking point, I experience things like what I'm about to tell you, and I'm rejuvenated and the energy required to get it all done is there in abundance. The other night Brad and I were sitting in the living room talking about the music and the vows and the dance and he said something to me that put it all into big-picture-perspective. He said, "Steph, do you know what I want for you on our wedding day? That morning, I want you to be completely relaxed and rested. I want the stress of the planning to be gone. I want you to enjoy each and every second from start to finish. I want you to look in the mirror and see every thing about yourself and say, 'I'm beautiful.' I want you to feel every ounce of love I have for you. I want you to have fun and not worry about Grace every second and what she's doing and how she's behaving, but just let her be Grace and know that it's okay and just love on her. I want you to walk down the aisle knowing that God is smiling down on us and has blessed each step that led us here. I want you to remember it forever as one of the best days of your life. That's what I want for you, and I will do anything I can to make that happen for you."

I fell in love with him all over again. I mean, who wouldn't?!

So, yeah, that's kind of a personal story to share on my blog, but I am marrying the most amazing man I've ever known and I want the whole world (or at least the part of it that reads this blog) to know it.

Grace is getting so excited. She loves him so much and is thrilled that he's the one God chose to be her dad. They're really bonding lately, and something inside of me is moved and swells up watching their relationship deepen right before my eyes. There is no greater joy than to experience this happiness with her.

Speaking of her happiness, she informed me today that her science fair project, entitled Are Fingerprints Hereditary? won second place! The honest truth is we were both dreading having to complete the project. I knew she wasn't into it and the thought of having to push her every step of the way was dreadful. But, once we got started and I saw her ideas come to life it was a fun time together. She did great and I'm super proud.

We all went to the Brad Paisley concert last week and it was so much fun. What an entertainer! It was Grace's first big concert and her little cowboy hat was bobbing from open to close. The "Paisley Party" included openers Darius Ruker (former Hootie front man) and Dierks Bentley. Grace bogarted Brad's binoculars during Dierk's set and now wants a poster of him in her room. *sigh* "Mommy, he's sooo cute!" I think I was about her age when I got my Michael J. Fox poster. I used to kiss it every night before bed. I'm not kidding you when I say that I HONESTLY believed I would grow up and marry him. For years I believed that, and then River Phoenix came along, and then Patrick Swayze, then Bono...

I've been trying to lose a bit of that weight I tried to lose a few months ago. I found a new eating plan and have cut out sugar, salt, processed foods, etc. I eat baked or broiled meat, raw, steamed or boiled veggies, fresh fruit and drink tons of water. So far I've lost 13 pounds in two weeks. I feel great and am completely motivated to keep going. That being said, I'm gonna enjoy every meal I eat on my honeymoon and not worry about a single calorie that week. I'll have deserved it by then. :)

I guess there's a ton more I could write about and I'm sure this was pretty boring reading, but I had to write something so that I could keep my mother. ;)

Oh, I will say this final thing. My Christmas tree is still up. STILL. I can not find the time to take it down and get everything put away. My bed has not been made in a month. I have a ton of laundry to do and desperately need to grocery shop. I haven't shaved my legs in over a week. Two of my house plants died of thirst. I need to call my best friend and have dinner with her and I've got to quit cancelling my dentist appointments. I write that for this reason. I'm trying to get over this ridiculous preoccupation with appearing like I've got it all together. I don't. I'm not perfect. I can't whitewash the truth, and it feels good to say how it is and be okay with it. I'm seriously flawed. I'm learning to not be so hard on me, to accept me, and to chill out. If you've read this far, you are awesome and I'm honored that what I write captures your interest even to this sentence. Thank you.

Until next time...

13 comments:

Carrie Maxwell said...

it was so not boring... at all.

that brad is great stuff.

Karrie said...

The glimpses into your life, my friend, are many things, but NEVER boring!:-)

So glad we got a bit of a chance to catch up yesterday and just to show that you really accomplished some stuff on your list yesterday (Grace would like this):

Get out of bed (CHECK)
Go to work (CHECK)
Call Karrie-after hanging up on her;-) (CHECK)
Update blog (CHECK)
Eat 2-3 times (CHECK)
Breathe (CHECK)

Goodness, I could go on, but I'm getting exhausted just looking at the list that's forming;-)

So happy for you and love you bunches!

Karrie

Andrea Reno said...

Yay! You updated! :) Just breathe, like you said, God had this day worked out before y'all did. Everything will work out perfectly! Just don't get so worked up that you pass out 5 minutes after you get home, then again on the plane the next day. :) Experience? Yes. :) Wow, I overuse that too. I might try your new way of eating. Bryan may not LOVE it but we could both stand to lose a few pounds! :) There it is again. I'm praying for you guys! Just stay calm, put your faith and trust and anxiety where it belongs!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog today, and you DID have me captured until the last sentence. Way to GO YOU!!! I'm so proud for you and Brad. You SO deserve the very best in life. I'm proud of you.

Steph said...

Aw, shucks, y'all. :) You sure know how to make a girl feel good about herself.

I've actually got lots to tell, so hopefully I will be back to regular blogging soon.

One thing at a time...

tdillow said...

wow...maybe a little TMI. I don't know that I would've been that honest when it comes to shaving my legs. ;) Hope to see you soon.

Love ya,
Tam
PS: I'm still sooooo excited and think that it's all coming together very nicely. Let me know what else I can help on.

Mantha said...

steph,

you are so awesome! all togetherness is overrated. :-)

great pic of you and grace. :-)

have a wonderful weekend!

Papa Frank said...

Our Christmas tree only came down today so you're not that far behind. I am very happy for you!!! And Grace is a joy to see and to hear about. She really is how I imagine my twins will be in the future.

Stephanie D said...

Just to let you know I still hold the record on Christmas tree displays--one year, it was March before the decorations came off and the tree came down, and one memorable year, the decorations came off in Feb., but the tree itself was up for 18 months! Not decorated the entire time, but twice while it was up, because with some home remodeling stuff in the garage, there was nowhere to store it, and we rarely used the living room anyway.

So relax! You've always got me to compare yourself to!

And that Brad sounds like a real gem. I am so happy you three are forming such an awesome family! You all deserve it!

Go GRACE on that science project! Woot woot!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, dear daughter. I think I love your blog because I can cry alone. Tears of joy and love for you, Grace and Brad. God truly hears and answers prayer. He's everything I've ever wanted for you and Grace. Someone who will love you both unconditionally. Who will encourage you and lead your family spiritually. I'm sorry you had to wait this long, but God's timing is perfect. I feel so happy, happy, oh so happy, all of the time.

Jewels said...

Few things...

The tree is fake right? Not real and dying right there?

I want that diet. 13 pounds? Seriously. Get it to me. Pronto.

I honestly thought I was going to marry either Jon or Jordan Knight from NKOTB... maybe I still have a chance....

Anonymous said...

You are just a really cool chick, ya know it?

Anonymous said...

I'm assaulting you with comments. I'm behind on blog reading, can you tell?

You're awesome. Just admit it.